Two more impressive videos to enjoy with the possibilities of Linux MCE.
Many people will be reluctant to move to linux because of lack of official support. Yet you can get tons of support from the many Linux Forums.
On the other side, other options fighting to be the center of home entertainment have significant flaws:
– apart from the infamous red circle of death, the Xbox 360 does not support Xvid and Divx, so a big part of my media library in my PC can not be accessed from the Xbox 360 in the living room – unless trancoded, with loss of quality.
– PS3. No support either from Xvid and DivX. The interesting alternative is to install Linux on the PS3, and use VLC to watch your media
– Wii is not really an option as a Media Extender. You can only receive streamed video by installing ORB on your streaming PC, set videos to transcode to flash, and access them from the Opera browser in the Wii. Low quality video and no convenient access to library
– KiSS Players. Not a bad option, but until recently the SW to install on your PC was not Vista compatible
– Apple TV. No Xvid, nor DivX, and no games…Nice design but not open. Not taken seriously by Apple.
Linux MCE will let you easily record TV shows, rip your music and DVD to your media storage with no DRM issues, and on top it will integrate with Home Automation systems and Voice over IP providers (e.g. FWD) among other possibilities.